Last Updated: Nov 6, 2013
"A published ranking, based on detailed financial analysis of corporate/organizational financial history, specifically as it relates to the ability to meet debt obligations. The highest rating is usually AAA, and the lowest is D."
Below are some recommended Blackwell Library databases to search for ratings/financial information.
Off campus, sign in using your 14 digit library barcode (on the back of Gull Card) and last name.
- Business Insights: Essentials (Gale)
Provides a wealth of data on companies and industries. Type your company name or ticker symbol into the search bar. Look for a link to 'Financials' which will contain balance sheets, cash flow, ratios, and more.
Morningstar's data reports cover more than 20,000 securities with historical data back to 1996. Use the search bar in the upper right hand corner to search by company name or ticker symbol, which should generate information on the company including: quote, chart, stock analysis, performance, key ratios, financials, valuation, insiders, shareholders, transcripts, filings, bonds, options.
The 'Stock Analysis' section provides a Morningstar analyst's written report, including buy and sell guidance. Look for 'Top Rated Stocks in Sector' to compare. Use the 'Help & Education' tab for guides and information on the rating systems.
- Value Line Investment Survey
"The Value Line Investment Survey is one of the most widely used independent investment information services in the world. Its up-to-date, weekly issues are a comprehensive reference source. Its coverage is encyclopedic, covering some 1,700 equity issues..."
Use 'Lookup Company' or 'Lookup Industry' along the left side of the page to search by company name, industry name, or ticker symbol. Look for the PDF reports. Use the Investment Education 'Getting Started' or 'Guides' for resources that will help you read the reports.
Standard & Poor's Research Insight - Access in the labs or in the library on campus only
To run a Company Highlights Report which will include S&P Credit Ratings:
- Click on the Company Highlights Report button (4th button on the left toolbar).
- When the run assistant box appears, type in the ticker symbol of the company in the 'Companies' text box & click on the 'OK' button at the bottom.
- S&P ratings will be listed on the left in the center of the report.
- To locate explanations for the ratings, use the pull-down menu under 'Help' at the top of the screen and choose 'Data and Reference'. When the indexes appear, click on the 'Find' tab and enter the term 'rating'. When the results list appears, choose 'Short-term Issuer Credit Rating' and 'Long-term Issuer Credit Rating'. Note: 1-3 ratings are assigned per company.
Mondays 1-3pm (Perdue 3rd floor faculty area)
Tuesdays 10am-noon (Perdue 2nd floor)
Blackwell Library, Room 128